Jeffrey Perlman, CV
JEFFREY ERIC PERLMAN, CEM, LEED AP
A multi-faceted solar energy, energy efficiency and green buildings consultant with experience in project development, technology assessment, cost-benefit analysis, financial packaging, and engineering.
ENERGY WORK EXPERIENCE
President and founder of this company advancing clean, cost-effective energy solutions. (2004 – Present)
- Consulting to government agencies, utilities, investors and others to analyze energy efficiency, solar energy and green buildings technologies, markets, opportunities and costs versus benefits.
- Developing, designing and installing solar energy, energy efficiency and backup power solutions n commercial, industrial and residential buildings and procuring financing for these projects.
- Energy Auditing, primarily for multifamily, commercial and industrial properties.
- Engineering and design of solar power systems and energy monitoring systems.
- Design consulting on large solar energy projects in the MiddleEast (including Dubai, Abu Dhabi).
- LEED Green Buildings consulting.
- Analyzing energy consumption patterns and histories to determine energy savings opportunities.
- Advising multifamily affordable housing owners on energy efficiency and renewable energy strategies.
- Spearheading software development of energy analysis and retrofit cost estimation and savings tools.
- Managing of a team of engineers, technical field personnel and administrative staff.
Association for Energy Affordability, Bronx, NY http://www.aeanyc.org
Energy Engineer with this non-profit agency that provides weatherization and other energy efficiency services to multifamily buildings in New York City. (2006 – 2008)
- Performing energy audits of multifamily apartment buildings, including site visits to conduct tests and analysis of facility energy consumption.
- Analyzing data from properties, to make energy efficiency retrofit recommendations.
- Developing next generation, online energy audit software.
Capital E, Washington, DC http://www.cap-e.com
Consultant at this distributed and renewable energy consulting and investment services company. (2002 – 2005)
- Evaluating the technology and business models of maufacturers of solar electric and hot water systems.
- Analyzing the costs and financial benefits of green buildings and energy efficiency with Greg Kats.
- Promoting federal renewable energy programs.
Big Apple Solar Installation Commitment, New York, NY http://www.basicsolar.org
Co-Executive Director and Founder of this solar energy education and outreach non-profit. (2003 – 2004)
- Producing newsletters, website and other educational information about solar energy technology.
- Running workshops and educating people about solar energy at events, festivals, etc.
- Surveying buildings for solar energy feasibility and facilitating solar installations.
- Analyzing the costs, financial benefits and system performance of solar electric systems.
Solar Energy Systems, Inc., Brooklyn, NY http://www.
Installer and Business/Networking Consultant for this solar system design/installation company. (2003)
- Installing solar electric (photovoltaic) systems on rooftops.
- Designing marketing materials for outreach to architects.
Team Lux—Yale College Solar Car Team, New Haven, CT http://solar.eng.yale.edu
Engineer and Driver of the solar powered race car Lux Perpetua. (1997 – 2000)
- Designed and built solar array, drive system, electrical system and telemetry circuitry.
- Helped build aluminum member frame and kevlar/fiberglass/nomex composite body.
- Devised strategy for racing from Washington D.C. to Orlando, FL in Sunrayce ’99.
World Solar Challenge, Australia
Official Observer (Race Monitor) on this 10-day solar car race across Australia. (October 1999)
- Ensured that solar cars met safety and operation specifications and that teams complied with race rules.
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
Daedalus Technology Group, New York, NY http://www.dtgroup.com
Consultant at this small software and computer technology consulting company. (1998 – 2004)
- Building and maintaining computers (Windows, LINUX) and networking infrastructure.
- Writing documentation for software projects.
Dr. Daniel Prober’s Single Photon Detector Laboratory, Yale University, New Haven, CT
Researcher programming and designing circuits in a group developing low noise, high precision light detectors using very low temperature superconducting tunnel junctions (STJs). (2000 – 2001)
IBM, Essex Junction, VT
SiGe Development Intern at this computer chip production and research facility. (2000)
- Designed device testsites, analyzed transistor data, and programmed databases in Lotus Notes.
- Solved a production problem by running experimental silicon wafers on the production line.
Adjunct Assistant Professor, NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies
High Performance Energy-Efficient Buildings (Fall 2009, Spring 2010)
Math & Science Tutor, Long Island, NY
Personal Tutor for all levels of high school math and science to a number of students. Many demonstrated significant progress and improved performance on standardized testing after tutelage. (2002 – 2003)
Yale University, New Haven, CT
B.S. Applied Physics, May 2001. Cumulative GPA: 3.6
Concentration: semiconductor device physics
Building Performance Institute Multifamily Building Analyst Training – Bronx, NY (July 2007)
AEE Energy Management Training – Boston, MA (June 2007)
FastTrac: Business Skills Development – New York, NY (Fall 2005)
Building Performance Institute Shell Specialist Training – Bronx, NY (December 2004)
Building Performance Institute Building Analyst I Training – Bronx, NY (November 2004)
Solar Installation Training – Edison, NJ (April 2002)
Building Performance Institute (BPI) Multifamily Building Analyst
Certified Energy Manager (CEM) Energy Engineer Accreditation
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) AP
NYSERDA Small Commercial Lighting Program – Ally Designer
Speaker, AAHSA Conference– Chicago, IL (November 2009)
Speaker, Renewable Power Project Finance – New York, NY (July 2009)
Speaker, National Housing & Rehabilitation Assoc Developers Forum – Los Angeles, CA (May 2009)
Featured Presenter, New England Biolabs Lunchtime Lecture Series – Ipswich, MA (March 2009)
Speaker, National Housing & Rehabilitation Association Annual Meeting – Key Largo, FL (March 2009)
Speaker, National Grid Gas Account Managers Efficiency Training – Melville, NY (February 2009)
Speaker, Renewable Power Project Finance – New York, NY (February 2009)
Speaker, NAHT/SAHF Affordable Housing Retreat – San Francisco, CA (January 2009)
Speaker, Public Housing Authorities Directors Assoc Annual Conference – San Diego, CA (January 2009)
All-Day Seminar, HalfMoon Seminars: Green Building Retrofitting – White Plains, NY (December 2008)
Speaker, DPC Sustainable Design Workshop – White Plains, NY (December 2008)
Speaker, Renewable Power Project Finance – San Diego, CA (October 2008)
Speaker, Multifamily Buildings Conference – Brooklyn, NY (July 2008)
Featured Presenter, NY Academy of Sciences Green Buildings Symposium – New York, NY (April 2008)
Speaker, Renewable Power Project Finance – Houston, TX (March 2008)
Speaker, Westchester County Green Schools Task Force – White Plains, NY (February 2008)
Speaker, NAHT/SAHF Affordable Housing Retreat – New Orleans, LA (January 2008)
Speaker, A Day of Green Seminars – Fort Lee, NJ (October 2007)
Speaker, Renewable Power Project Finance – Long Beach, CA (September 2007)
Guest Lecturer, CUNY Building Performance Lab – New York, NY (May 2007)
Speaker, Renewable Power Project Finance – New York, NY (May 2007)
Guest Lecturer, High School for Environmental Studies – New York, NY (April 2007)
Presenter, ABA Renewable Energy Teleconference Series – New York, NY (March 2007)
Featured Presenter, Energy Committee of the NYC Bar – New York, NY (March 2007)
Presenter, NYSERDA Energy Fair – Brooklyn, NY (February 2007)
Featured Presenter, Green Renter Series at Solar One – New York, NY (January 2007)
Speaker, Renewable Power Project Finance – Austin, TX (December 2006)
Speaker, A Day of Green Seminars II – New York, NY (November 2006)
Featured Presenter, Long Island AIA – Plainview, NY (September 2006)
Speaker, A Day of Green Seminars – New York, NY (August 2006)
Speaker, Multifamily Buildings Conference – New York, NY (June 2006)
Lunchtime Presenter, Port Authority of NY & NJ – Newark, NJ (June 2006)
Featured Presenter, Implementing Renewable and Efficient Energy in NYC – Bronx, NY (May 2006)
Featured Presenter, Lakewood Environmental Commission – Lakewood, NJ (May 2006)
Speaker, Energy Solutions Conference, New York, NY (April 2006)
Organizer/Presenter, Greening A Block Public Forum – New York, NY (March 2006)
Featured Presenter, NY Green Building Salon – New York, NY (February 2006)
Guest Lecturer, Columbia University Graduate Workshop on Energy, New York, NY (February 2006)
Featured Presenter, Green Renter Series at Solar One – New York, NY (January 2006)
Featured Presenter, Municipal Art Society – New York, NY (September 2005)
Presenter, Neighborhood Energy Forum – Queens, NY (August 2005)
Speaker, International Solar Energy Conference – Orlando, FL (August 2005)
Organizer/Presenter, Greening A Block Public Forum – New York, NY (July 2005)
Guest Lecturer, Columbia University: Energy Dynamics of Green Buildings, New York, NY (March 2005)
Presenter, Neighborhood Energy Forum at Brooklyn Brewery – Brooklyn, NY (October 2004)
PAPERS & ARTICLES
Solar Real-Time Pricing – A Report for the City of New York, funded by the NYC Economic Development Corporation (August 2009)
Solar Domestic Hot Water Technologies Assessment (NYSERDA, August 2008)
Boston Community Capital Energy Advantage Properties Energy Usage Analysis (Bright Power, September 2007)
PV Installation Training at CUNY: Market Assessment (NYSERDA/CUNY/EBA-NYS/Bright Power, May 2006)
Financial Benefits of ENERGY STAR Labeled Office Buildings, co-author with Greg Kats (Capital E, February 2006)
Greening A Block Feasibility Study, co-author with Charles Komanoff (Greening A Block, January 2006) National Review of Green Schools: Costs, Benefits, and Implications for Massachusetts, contributing author; principal author: Greg Kats (Capital E, December 2005)
Analysis of PV System Performance Versus Modeled Expectations Across a Set of Identical PV Systems, first author (BASIC/American Solar Energy Society, Summer 2005)
Rethinking the Grid: Distributed Generation and Urban Development (The Next American City, April 2005)
The Costs and Financial Benefits of Green Buildings, contributing author; principal author: Greg Kats (Capital E, October 2003)
I Love (renewable) New York (3D Magazine, October 2003)
Power for the People (Animal New York, Summer 2003)
Multifamily Buildings Energy Conference – Brooklyn, NY (July 2008)
World Solar Power – Seville, Spain (October 2007)
PowerGen Renewable Energy & Fuels – Las Vegas, NV (March 2007)
Current Issues in Sustainable Design – New York, NY (January 2007)
Renewable Power Project Finance – San Diego, CA (September 2006)
National Solar Energy Conference – Denver, CO (July 2006)
Renewable Energy: Made in Germany – New York, NY (March 2006)
Affordable Comfort: Solutions for Success – Syracuse, NY (February 2006)
Solar Power 2005 – Washington DC (October 2005)
Cleantech Companies in Mainstream Markets – SJF Ventures – New York, NY (September 2005)
National Solar Energy Conference – Orlando, FL (July 2005)
NESEA Building Energy Conference – Boston, MA (March 2005)
Mid-Atlantic Sustainability Conference – Trenton, NJ (October 2004)
National Solar Energy Conference – Portland, OR (July 2004)
NESEA Building Energy Conference – Boston, MA (March 2004)
American Solar Energy Society (ASES)
American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
Association of Energy Engineers (AEE) – National and NY Chapter
New York Solar Energy Industries Association (NYSEIA)
North East Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA)
Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA)
U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) – National and NY Chapter
Computer Software: Windows, Microsoft Office, EA-Quip, TREAT, eQuest, fast learner of new software
Computer Mainenance/Repair: building/troubleshooting/
Website Design/Mantenance: HTML, PHP, etc.
Music: accomplished clarinet/sax player of Eastern European folk/dance music (www.romashka.net)
Languages: Basic French, Basic Russian