Bright Power’s MoBIUS® (Management of Building Information, Utilities, & Systems) service monitors real-time energy and equipment usage, optimizes equipment performance and control settings and provides continuous training to building operators and managers across multifamily and commercial buildings. After piloting this service for three years with two clients, Bright Power began deploying MoBIUS to more buildings in the fall of 2018. This research intended to answer the following questions:
- Are MoBIUS buildings consuming less energy over time compared to buildings without MoBIUS?
- Are energy savings at MoBIUS buildings more predictable than buildings without MoBIUS?
- Is energy consumption less volatile in buildings with MoBIUS than in buildings without?
We analyzed data from 15 multifamily and commercial buildings that were engaged in MoBIUS for the full year 2019 and compared that to data from 100 control buildings that were not engaged in a real-time energy management service but were enrolled in Bright Power’s EnergyScoreCards benchmarking platform.
- Buildings engaged in MoBIUS reduced their energy spend by an average of 5.2% in 2019 compared to 2018.
- Buildings engaged in MoBIUS were 63% more likely to achieve energy savings during the two-year period than the control buildings.
- MoBIUS buildings had less volatile energy use patterns throughout the year compared to the control buildings.