Via Verde/New Housing New York - LEED, Solar Design
Bright Power provides solar design and installation, energy efficiency, and LEED consulting for Via Verde, a cutting-edge, green, affordable, multifamily project in the Bronx, developed by Jonathan Rose Companies and Phipps Houses, and designed by Dattner Architects and Grimshaw.
Winner of the 2006 New Housing New York competition, the 300,000 square foot urban infill project, which is targeting LEED Gold certification, consists of 151 units of affordable housing in 18 stories, and includes a 66 kW building-integrated photovoltaic system, onsite cogeneration, green roof, community vegetable gardens green interior ﬁnishes, rainwater harvesting and drought tolerant vegetation. Bright Power is carrying out LEED and energy efficiency consulting under contract to and in partnership with the Association for Energy Affordability.
Our consultants are an integral part of the design team, collaborating with architects, developers, contractors, engineers and landscape architects to implement numerous green elements in this project. Bright Power contributed to developing a successful LEED Innovation in Design (ID) credit: Design for Health Through Increased Physical Activity.
As energy efﬁciency and solar design consultants, Bright Power’s services for Via Verde include:
- Build an energy model to meet Green Communities Criteria, LEED and ASHRAE requirements.
- Suggest design changes to improve energy performance.
- Provide savings analysis for a range of energy conservation measures: Condensing boilers, heat recovery ventilation, efficient lighting, increased insulation, high performance windows, solar thermal and solar PV.
- Design and model performance of a 66 kW solar PV system.
- Create energy criteria for sizing of onsite cogeneration.
- Coordinate Via Verde’s participation in the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority’s Multifamily Performance Program.
As LEED green building consultants, Bright Power's responsibilities include:
- Analyze the design documents for applicable LEED credits.
- Facilitate integrated design across the design team to maximize sustainability and LEED credits.
- Coordinate LEED documentation throughout project design and construction.
- Write, perform necessary analysis and submit the LEED online templates.
- Interface with USGBC when the project requires clarification or credit interpretation requests.
Rendering: Wall integrated solar electric (PV) design at Via Verde.
(Renderings by Grimshaw Architects)
The PBS series Design: e2 takes an in-depth look at the ideas behind the community-focues development of Via Verde.
"The Spectacular Green Way to Build Affordable Housing" by Kaid Benfield, NRDC Switchboard, Oct. 13, 2011.
"Affordable Housing in The Bronx Goes Green at Via Verde by Grimshaw Architects," by Jessica Dailey. inhabitat NYC, April 13, 2011.